History of the Zunfthaus zum Paradies

1616 and1624 The family Schnorff purchased the two late gothic houses "Barendiss" and "Hasen". For almost two centuries the two houses stayed in the possesion of this prominent dynasty.
1714 On the occasion of the great Congress at the end of the War of the Spanish Succession, the house served as the last meeting place for top domestic and foreign diplomats. The best known representatives of the family Schnorff were Casper Louis (1624 - 1721) as mayor and Beat Anton as deputy magistrate. After their term of office the owners changed in rapid succession. During revolutionary times the house was even used as barracks.
1756 A black and gold plaque indicates a major renovation.
1902 The house comes into the possession of the Family Welti
1947 The "Zunfthaus zum Paradies" is placed under cantonal preservation order
1954/1955 The valuable craftmanships/woodworks from the 17th Century are subjected to extensive, professional restoration.
1966 renovation of the facade
1987 The building undergoes an overall renovation of the interieur and exterieur
2002 The "Paradies" is in the Family Welti's posession for 100 years
2012 Starting on the 2nd of May, André and Iris Klarmann welcome guests to the "Zunfthaus zum Paradies"

building structure

The present form of the facades and interior works are largely due to the family Schnorff in the late 17th Century.

 On the facades of the stately house, late gothic and early baroque make a peculiar connection , which is particularly evident in the double and triple windows, window sills and gables.

The Schultheissen family Schnorff has given the interior a furnishing you would otherwise only find in castles, cloisters and council offices. The two "Eckstuben" lying one upon another are furnished with heavy wooden coffered ceilings. Early baroque only reveals itself in a few secular buildings in the canton of Aargau as typically in the art of the former carpenter trade as in the lining of the carved wooden door and the window frames as well as in the "Eckbuffet" of the upper appartment. In the "Zunftstube" on the first floor there is also a wall safe built in with two artfully studded door panels of wrought iron.

references: Badener Neujahrsblätter 1956; Die Kunstdenkmäler des Kantons Aargau (Band VI)